Saturday, August 11, 2007

Quotations

Quotes about Fred Astaire

"Dancers hate Fred Astaire. He gives us complexes because he is too perfect. . . When I first saw Mr. Astaire's movies, it was very discouraging. I thought everybody in America was that good. I felt, 'You're never gonna dance, kid.'"
Mikhail Baryshnikov, on the occasion of Fred's Life Achievement Award of the American Film Institute, 1981

"There is nobody like you, and while they say that every generation has its own style, your style reaches and delights us all." - President Ronald Reagan, on the occasion of Fred's Life Achievement Award of the American Film Institute, 1981

"There never was a greater perfectionist, there never was, or never will be, a better dancer, and I never knew anybody more kind, more considerate, or so completely a gentleman. I love Fred, John, and I admire and respect him. I guess It's because he's so many things I'd like to be and am not."
Bing Crosby, in a letter to John O'Hara

"Fred’s main concern in life was to make Adele look good. He understood the male 'supporting' role before it was a national mania. He fixed the dances so his sister would sparkle and shine. He was there to act as a kind of setting for the jewel of her talent." - Bill Adler in Fred Astaire, A Wonderful Life, 1987









...more quotes will follow soon ;-)

Labels: